A special session of Walking Wounded: Hope for Those Hurt by Church specifically for those formerly connected to Mars Hill and Acts 29 Network churches will begin on July 23.
Kathy Escobar & Phyllis Mathis will be facilitating the course (Sophia will be a participant only). Here is more about Kathy and Phyllis.
Kathy Escobar co-pastors the Refuge, an eclectic faith community in North Denver dedicated to those on the margins of life and faith (www.therefugeonline.org). She journeys with people in hard places as a spiritual director, teacher, and group facilitator. A Pepperdine University graduate, she also has a Masters degree in Management/Organizational Development and a Certificate in Evangelical Spiritual Guidance from Denver Seminary. Kathy is the author of Down We Go: Living into the Wild Ways of Jesus (Civitas Press, 2011).
Phyllis Mathis is a Licensed Professional Counselor who has been practicing for over 20 years. She is also a long-time spiritual teacher, lay leader, former pastor, Ontological Coach. A seasoned writer, retreat facilitator and a beginning potter, she is the co-creator of the forthcoming course:The Iconic Self (Jen Lee Productions, 2012).
Class price is $49 and includes daily posts (Monday through Friday) and weekly exercises in journaling, storytelling, and wellness practices.
Please note: Mars Hill Refuge (Sophia & Kaelee) do not profit in any way from your participation. The cost of the course covers the web hosting service and a very small portion goes to Kathy and Phyllis.
To honor everyone’s safety, we are not offering open registration for this class. Instead, please contact Sophia Grace at email@example.com to get the registration link.
Thousands of honest, sincere people are finding themselves on the outside of a faith system they once held dear. The sadness, anger, disillusionment and fear can be debilitating. And confusing.
- Been asked to leave a church or told you’re not a “good fit”?
- Felt forced to conform or remain consistently overlooked?
- Been told that you are loved but not your sin?
- Questioned leadership or theology and found yourself on the outside?
- Felt sad, angry, afraid, lost, or disoriented after painful church experiences?
- Experienced a significant shift in your theology or faith perspective and find yourself feeling disoriented and unsure?
You are not lost, and you are not alone.
Walking Wounded: Hope for Those Hurt By Church is designed to help you move through the painful and confusing aftermath of a negative faith-based experience.
In this 4 week class you will:
- Connect with others who have similar experiences
- Identify your losses and reclaim your dreams
- Tell your story and receive support
- Work through your unfinished business
- Learn effective practices to restore a sense of sanity
Through interviews, conversation, journaling and storytelling, Kathy Escobar and Phyllis Mathis will guide you through the confusion and into a place of purpose and peace.
For more information on what to expect, click HERE